Bookcase styling can be tricky… Here are 5 tips for a smart, stylish bookcase!
1. LESS IS MORE. Avoiding filling up the shelves with every knick knack you own, but rather use each shelf as an opportunity to show off your most prized books and accessories. Symmetrical styling is visually appealing, so think balance, scale and proportion.
2. BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS. Books are a great styling tool and where better to put them than in some beautiful bookcases? Use what you have and if you desire more, check out your local thrift store, garage sales, and amazon.com for affordable finds … Forwards, backwards, on their sides—no position is off limits. I like jackets off and I typically try to use hardbacks with beautiful spines.
3. GROUP SMALLER ITEMS TO FORM A COLLECTION. Instead of scattering the smaller accessories you want to show off between shelves, group them together for a collective feel. But remember, again, less is more.
4. DECORATE THE BACK OF YOUR BOOK SHELVES. Paint, mirror, or wallpaper the back of shelves. A little color, reflection, or pattern will look great as the backdrop to your newly styled cases and can showcase your prized accessories. You can also add lighting to highlight the special items on your shelves. Adhesive backed puck lights are an inexpensive solution for pre-existing shelving, but if you are building new bookcases, contact your electrician for built in lighting costs—It makes a big difference and don’t forget to add dimmers.
5. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, COVER IT UP. If your bookcases are still a mess after styling them, then consider doors. Doors will mask any clutter, while still making items inside easily accessible. You can get creative with the doors. Use fretwork, paint them a color, install unique hardware – Design should never be boring, so let your imagination run wild.
If you are still having issues styling your bookcase or any other space in your home and would like some help, please contact us at email@example.com.
Have a FABULOUS Day!