Our world is becoming more and more connected, so its no surprise that the popularity of smart home technology is at an all time high, and continuing to grow.
But for those of us that are new to smart home technology, it can be a little intimidating.
What is it? How can it help me? Where do I start?
We connected with Eric Rasmussen of Audio Trix to answer some of the most commonly asked questions surrounding smart home technology.
1. Can you give us 3 reasons why smart home technology makes life easier?
- It simplifies your life: Combine what might otherwise be multiple different apps or devices into one simple and easy to use interface.
- It provides familiarity: Using only the one app or interface simplifies the “tech learning curve” since all your devices or systems will be using the same user interface making interacting with your system easier.
- It saves time through automation: True smart home technology makes life easier by automating regular household activities such as: locking all the exterior doors at dusk, or put your house into vacation mode with the press of one button.
2. If a client is new to smart home technology, what are a few tech-y things they should begin with to get their “feet wet?”
Usually most clients will find themselves wanting to control a TV entertainment system or play music on architectural speakers within a living space. Starting a home control system around your tv and music system is a great way to simply what can otherwise be a complicated mess. There are multiple ways to interact with the same control system. You could utilize a hand held remote, smart phone or tablet, in-wall touchscreen, or the tv screen itself. Once they see how intuitive a well planned system can be, then it might be time to add other features such as lighting, climate control, security, and cameras. The goal is to have an extremely easy to use “Smart Space.”
3. When designing or re-designing a space, at what stage is it best to incorporate smart home technology? Toward the beginning, the middle, the end? Or does it matter?
It is usually best to start the conversation about smart home technology at the beginning of redesigning a space. Even though we are in the days of “everything wireless,” most quality a/v (audiovisual) entertainment systems still require at least some wiring – much of which is best done in the very beginning of a project.
4. What new piece of smart home technology are you most excited about that you think is going to take off in 2015?
Really the newest thing in smart home technology is still the ever improving way we interact with it throughout our individual spaces. With proper system design, the old pile of remotes on the coffee table is a thing of the past. And the ever expanding list of entertainment options can be easily accessed by even the most novice of users.
Thank you so much for your time, Eric. We really appreciate it! For Atlanta residents with smart home technology questions, look no further than Audio Trix, our go to company for smart home integration. If you are looking at how to incorporate smart home into the design of your space, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have further questions, leave them in the comment section below! We would love to hear from you!
Have a smart, stylish day!